Simple, Robust and Powerful Tools
For Data Collection
- Created by users for users
- Build, Collect, Analyze -- Online or Offline
- Easy Form Creation
- Used in the most demanding contexts
- Design forms quickly and easily using our intuitive form builder
- Reuse existing questions and blocks of questions and manage them in the question library
- Build complex forms with skip logic and validation
- More than 20 different question types available including location, image, video, rating, matrix, etc.
- Easily share projects with colleagues and set granular permission levels
- Import and export XLSForms Import via URL or upload from your computer
- Online and Offline
- On phones, tablets or any browser Using KoBoCollect on Android devices and Enketo on any modern browser
- Synchronize data via SSL Ensures data can't be read by a third party
- Strong safeguards against data loss Even on very long interviews
- Data immediately available right after it's collected
Analyze and Manage Data
- Create summary reports with graphs and tables and fine-tune your report's charts, colors and questions
- Visualize collected data on a map includes a heatmap, clustering, other base layers, etc.
- Disaggregate data in reports and mapsi.e. by gender, region or educational level
- Export all your data at any time Supported formats: Excel, CSV, KML, ZIP (for media) and SPSS
- Access your data through our robust API
Get started with KoBoToolbox now, it's free and it takes under a minute. We have two publicly-available instances of KoBoToolbox you can choose from:
Unlimited Use for
Provided by UN OCHA
Unlimited Data Storage
For more information on the differences between the two servers and to help determine which one is right for you, please read our Which Server Should I Use? support article.
Advanced users can also install KoBoToolbox on their own server (or on a local machine) using Docker. See our kobo-install repository on GitHub for details.
COVID-19 Additional storage
A part of our efforts to support the humanitarian community and contribute to the global fight against the pandemic, there will be no data storage limit for all projects related to COVID-19.
This only applies to users of https://kf.kobotoolbox.org; humanitarian users of https://kobo.humanitarianresponse.info already enjoy completely unlimited storage. If applicable, please fill in the following short form to request more storage for your project:
Do you need support/features/fixes to use KoBoToolbox in COVID-19 projects?
Does your COVID-19 project need help related to data collection? Please let us know, we may be able to find funding or connect you with volunteers. Please take the following short survey to let us know:
Open Source Development supported by
with additional support from
KoBoToolbox is a suite of tools for field data collection for use in challenging environments. Our software is free and open source. Most of our users are people working in humanitarian crises, as well as aid professionals and researchers working in developing countries. Our teams of developers and researchers are based in Cambridge, MA and many other places around the world.
Quickly collecting reliable information in a humanitarian crisis – especially following a natural disaster such as a large earthquake or a typhoon taking place in a poor country – is the critical link to saving the lives of the most vulnerable. Understanding the population’s needs is often neglected for lack of quick means to gather and analyze this crucial information. KoBoToolbox, developed by the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, is an open source suite of tools for data collection and analysis in humanitarian emergencies and other challenging environments that was built to address this gap. KoBoToolbox is funded entirely through generous grants and donations from our partners.
Our work is open-source. For more on our projects and to learn how you can contribute, visit our organization page on GitHub.
We test our products using BrowserStack.
Examples from the field
KoBoToolbox is used by many organizations and researchers in a variety of contexts all over the world.
Here are a few examples of KoBoToolbox in action:
For issues, questions, ideas, or to read anouncements on new releases, please head to our community forum atcommunity.kobotoolbox.org
To learn how to get started, read help articles, or watch tutorials, please head to our help page atsupport.kobotoolbox.org