Kobo is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization sustained financially through partnerships, service agreements, grants, and donations.

Donations from our users and private donors help keep KoboToolbox accessible to everyone, so we can continue to provide reliable, secure, and high quality data tools to users around the world—especially organizations in low-income countries. Make a donation today.

Kobo depends on partnerships and service agreements as a main source of revenue. We work directly with organizations worldwide to find solutions to their data collection needs, including setting up organization-specific servers, professional user support, training sessions, and feature development. Through our collaboration with partner organizations, new features are added to the public KoboToolbox every year, helping to meet the needs of more organizations working in the field.


In 2022, 75% of Kobo's operating revenue was from program services, including $557,927 in conditional contributions and $209,392 in service contract revenue. The remaining 25% of operating revenue was from grants and other contributions totaling $252,945.

In 2022, 93% of Kobo's operating expenses were dedicated to program services—that means ninety-three cents of every dollar went toward the development and maintenance of the KoboToolbox and other work towards achieving our mission. The remaining 7% of Kobo's operating expenses were allocated to management and administration, ensuring efficient and effective oversight of the organization.


In 2022, 74% of Kobo’s operating expenses were related to staff and contractor fees. The remaining 26% of Kobo's operating expenses were distributed as follows: Server hosting fees (16%), professional services (i.e. legal fees, accounting service fess and audit fees) (9%) and software and other administrative expenses (1%).


To learn more, view our nonprofit profile on Guidestar.

For more financial information, see our 2022 Audited Financial Report and Form 990.
Download 2022 independent audit report
Download 2022 Form 990