KoBoToolbox Humanitarian Committee
- Scaling up our support services
- Jointly identify new priority features and changes to existing tools
- Partnerships with wider range of humanitarian actors
- Ensuring viability of the project and long-term support
The KoBoToolbox Humanitarian Committee (KHC) is created with the purpose of establishing a pooled funding and decision-making mechanism to support the long-term sustainability of KoBoToolbox and related maintenance and support services for the entire humanitarian sector. The purpose of the KoBoToolbox Humanitarian Committee is to support the independence of the tools, both financially and through strategic decision-making.
The specific functions of the KoBoToolbox Humanitarian Committee are to:
- Ensure that software tools and services are aligned to the core values of the tools and the needs of the humanitarian community
- Secure funding through engagement with potential partners or donors and leverage resources and network to assist the project in achieving its outcomes
- Provide advice and guidance on business issues facing KoBoToolbox, such as outreach and marketing to additional humanitarian organizations
- Recommend additional feature development and/or software improvements using pool funding generated by membership fees
Since 2014, KoBoToolbox has experienced a rapid growth and adoption among the humanitarian community, making it the most widely used tool for primary data collection by humanitarian actors today. The purpose of this document is to establish the scope, purpose and structure of the KoBoToolbox Humanitarian Committee (KHC).
The KHC will inform the development of KoBoToolbox for humanitarian use, including overall strategy and vision on technological issues, community development, integration and fundraising to ensure the long-term sustainability of the tools and value for humanitarian users.
The KoBoToolbox Humanitarian Committee will help create a more coordinated approach for the development of KoBoToolbox as a free and open source data collection services in support of all humanitarians. Specific objectives are to:
- Scale services to meet the growing demand for user support, training, feature development and self-hosted solutions Open the partnership and Involve.
- Open the partnership and Involve a wider range of humanitarian actors in identifying development priorities for humanitarian users, especially agencies making major.
- Develop a strategy less reliant on short-term grants and contracts to ensure the viability of the project and long-term support to humanitarian users.
- Jointly identify new priority features and changes to existing tools that are most urgently required by humanitarian field needs.
Vision and Values
KoBoToolbox for use in humanitarian emergencies aims to:
- Enable high-quality humanitarian decision making and coordination through rapid and reliable primary data collection and analysis.
- Reduce fragmentation during data collection by providing the tools to establish common standards, usage of metadata, allowing for confidential sharing of data, and
- Increase the number of surveys and assessments done with high quality electronic tools by providing a tool that is simple enough for non-technically skilled persons while also being adaptable to local requirements.
To achieve this, KoBoToolbox was developed with the following core values, which the proposed bodies aim to protect:
- A platform developed and governed for humanitarians by humanitarians for the benefit of the wider humanitarian community and not just for a specific agency or organization.
- A platform that is free, open source, and fully accessible for all humanitarian users including basic support, ensuring that even the smallest local NGOs have access to quality tools and services.
- Use open form-building and data collection standards to ensure compatibility with other tools and guarantee the flexibility to customize the platform if necessary, while minimizing fragmentation of tools, and building transferable skills and mutual support.
- Enable the reliable collection, management, and sharing of data to enhance the quality of humanitarian programming and promote evidence-based and harmonized approaches within the humanitarian community.
interested in joining the
KoBoToolbox Humanitarian Committee?
To learn more about joining the KoBoToolbox Humanitarian Committee and talk directly with someone from our team, please send us an email that briefly describes your organization and its intent to join the KHC.Email Us