Project and Community Engagement Coordinator
- Support humanitarian practitioners worldwide
- Devise and improve training material; lead KoBoToolbox training sessions
- Grow engagement with KoBo’s large user community and coordinate other projects
- Work remotely; suitable for candidates with technology, nonprofit, humanitarian, development, education, public health, or similar backgrounds
We are looking for an enthusiastic Project and Community Engagement Coordinator to fill a newly created full-time position at KoBo Inc, the nonprofit organization behind the leading humanitarian data collection toolkit, KoBoToolbox. You will be responsible for coordinating several projects to support hundreds of thousands of our global users, including by recruiting volunteer contributors, leading training sessions, and improving user documentation with new content.
Prior experience using KoBoToolbox, ODK, and XLSForm, as well as phenomenal communication skills are essential for this position. Experience in project management and a proven ability to organize training sessions are important qualities too. Your enthusiasm and positive attitude will help to better engage with the many KoBoToolbox users from hundreds of countries and to grow a deep bench of volunteers to improve translations and training material. Your organization skills and remote work experience will ensure that projects are delivered effectively.
About KoBoToolbox and KoBo, Inc.
KoBoToolbox is the most widely used software for data collection, management, and visualization platform in humanitarian crises. Founded in 2005 by a team of public health and conflict researchers, it has been managed since 2013 by a growing team based at the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative and Brigham and Women’s Hospital (a Harvard teaching hospital). Publicly hosted KoBoToolbox servers are used by more than 500,000 users worldwide who submitted more than 100 million surveys in 2020 to inform humanitarian, human rights, development, research, and public health emergency (including COVID-19) projects.
KoBo, Inc. was founded in 2019 as a nonprofit organization to host and maintain KoBoToolbox, and to support open source data systems and technology for global development, peace, human rights and humanitarian action. KoBoToolbox is a free, open source software specifically designed for humanitarians and researchers working in complex emergencies and resource-poor environments.
- Lead user consultations to identify gaps with existing user documentation materials
- Add to and improve user documentation content (support.kobotoolbox.org) in text, visual, and video format
- Create practical support material on best practices for data protection and security
- Organize virtual events around best practices for KoBoToolbox users, (e.g., on data collection, protection, use, and analysis) for different user sectors and/or regions
- Recruit and coordinate volunteer contributors, including:
- translators to convert the current English-only resources into languages of primary importance for humanitarian action
- KoBoToolbox users to help edit and add to user support content
- power users/trainers at partner organizations who can share and help convert existing training material used internally
- Coordinate other related KoBoToolbox projects
- Proven experience with KoBoToolbox/ODK and XLSForm
- Experience working in humanitarian assistance, economic development, or similar field research
- Proven experience creating user training and documentation materials
- Experience with video editing software is an asset
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
- Strong project management skills; the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines within tight timeframes
- Demonstrated adaptability, flexibility, and resourcefulness in setting priorities and organizing work; a results-driven approach to setting goals and celebrating accomplishments
- Proficient command of English
- Command of another priority language (Arabic, Spanish, French) an asset
- Genuine interest in our mission
To Apply, please submit your application as soon as possible on this form.
- This is remote work position; all of KoBo’s team members work remotely in Canada, France, Kenya, Nepal, the United Kingdom, and the United States
- Work hours need to overlap at least partially with our team’s core workday (8am-5pm ET / 13:00-22:00 UTC)